Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Read and Reflect: Kids Warned about Posting Online (AVID Weekly)

Read this post from AVID Weekly about digital citizenship and then post a reflective comment. Please comment on another classmate's comment to either respectfully challenge an idea, or to support an idea in agreement.


12 comments:

  1. I agree that social media can be used to bully others, and can be used negatively. I think we should all be respectful towards others not because it's the law, because it is wrong. perhaps We can also use social media to counteract bullying and put a stop to it. Social media can used for many good things, but be respectful to others and ignore the people who aren't worth your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words, Jimmy! I like your idea of using social media to counteract bullying altogether. It's important we choose to be proactive rather than complacent with the problem, though. Good thoughts.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this article because it not only taught me things like the legal consequences to online bullying, but it also mentioned side affects. When I first started reading the article I expected to read about the victims, but I found it really interesting that it talked about bullies problems in relationships. I agree with Jimmy that we should all be respectful to each other; however, I don't think people should ignore it as Mr.Butte stated. This idea goes back to the article about tolerance we read, and that is not the answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree with jimmy and emma because i believe that people should use common sense and stop being mean to each other. In addition people don't have to take everything to serious. But i do believe cyberbulling is a problem

      Delete
    2. I agree with both of you about the need for "common sense"; however, is being tolerant by ignoring the issue a solution?

      Delete
  3. Of course adults always tell teens to be careful online but it's not like everyone listens to that advice. Posting inappropriate or any offensive content isn't the smartest choice but that doesn't mean that person should get bullied or anyone in general. However, cyberbullying does happen a lot and even the risk of getting fined won't stop it. That's why I think that we should all just try to post smart and avoid the negative comments, even though that might be hard since we get judged no matter what.The key to stopping this is to stop it in your head and just move past it and as Emma mentioned having tolerance with the bullies online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that we should all be aware of what we choose to post first. But what other solutions could we pose for countering cyber-bullying? Ignoring the problem doesn't make it go away.

      Delete
  4. Cyberbullying is a really big problem and I see it pretty much everyday. I agree with Lupita when she says that not even the risk of getting fined is gonna stop people because the truth is that that's really unlikely to happen. If fining people was as serious as people make it seem, then people would be getting fined left and right but they're not.

    I agree with Emma when she said that ignoring the bully won't solve the problem, but I also agree with Jimmy. If someone is bullying you online, you have the power to stop it. Literally all you have to do is block the person if that's a feature on the social media site, which it most likely is.

    When it comes to cyberbullying and it's only a few people, I think anyone has the power to stop it because you literally just have to block the bullies. But if it's more people and it's constant, I think that's when people should seek for help because there's not much they can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I strongly agree. I see cyberbullying on a daily and honestly with as many people that do it there not gonna catch everybody and thats the sad thing about it. Blocking could stop the problem buti would argue that there are other ways even if they are blocked on your phone they can still post about you and it STILL can effect you.

      Delete
    2. Blocking inappropriate content is a very good start! Having filters and firewalls works on protecting you and your privacy, but we still need to educate everyone on the idea of Common Sense Media.

      Delete
  5. Cyberbullying happens every day and even the risk of getting fined won't stop it. People know it is not right but still do it anyways. I believe there are some ways to stop it but not permanently because people will find a way to put their harmful opinions out there. That's why I think the victim should just try to block the bullies as Daniela had mentioned , although sometimes that won't even stop it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of block out the bullies, Jaime, but how can we educate everyone about the issue and prevent the problem from getting worse?

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.