AVID Weekly
In defense of boredom: this article, written by Rosecrans Baldwin, was about unplugging from your headphones and being open to the world. Personally, I didn't agree with this article at all. The author noted that when she didn't have her headphones she was able to listen to her surroundings (people's conversations ect.), but that isn't good; that's being nosey and eavesdropping. Baldwin makes a statement concerning daydreaming, but later criticizes people who wear headphones simply for solitude. I disagree with that section because her claim seemed to be saying that people are unable to daydream in complete silence, when in fact, it makes it easier. I'm not saying that you shouldn't unplug from technology; however, its not fair to say that people are "missing out" or "soundless solitude may come at a cost."
Emma, I think it's interesting that you didn't agree with anything in the article. Is it his fault that he can hear other conversations of people who aren't censoring themselves in public places, like at the post office? Have you ever tried unplugging and doing nothing for 5 minutes? An hour? A day? It's VERY difficult to do! ...But necessary and worthwhile, even if "boring." Do we know much about what "soundless solitude" does to people? For me, as a teacher, students often make the claim that they can't focus/concentrate on their homework without listening to music. Is that true? If so, is it a good thing? What consequences do these students face when they enter a workforce that doesn't allow headphones at work? Thanks for the insights!
ReplyDeleteIts not that I didn't agree with anything, I definitely think its necessary to unplug. However, the fact that he says that people are missing out in the post office by not intentionally listening to someone else's conversation is what bothers me. I understand that it is difficult to unplug for awhile, however, if you want to be bored or unplug why not do it a park or a hike where you can take in your surrounding and enjoy the views. Personally, I don't think its a good thing that some people can't concentrate without music, but a good way to break that habit is to unplug in an actually isolated place, not in public with many things able to distract you.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you Emma, It is necessary to unplug for a while but it doesn't have to be when your at the post office or on a run unplug when your hanging out with friends or at the beach or something.
ReplyDelete